Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Spirit People Project--Tombstone Folks

While researching abandoned places in Downtown Albuquerque, unexpectedly I discovered at least five displaced former graveyards. The idea of ghost graveyards fascinates me. I have always assumed burials represented a final resting place for the deceased, but apparently not. Many don't stay put. The departed are forgotten, neglected, moved, or paved over to make way for building projects.

My discovery of ghost graveyards coincides with participating in Free Art Friday Albuquerque on Facebook. The idea is to leave artwork in a public place where random people can find it. A picture clue about the location is posted to Facebook.

I've created five Tombstone Folks to leave at the ghost graveyards for art giveaways. The faces are based on a New England tombstone carving I found in a book of early American folk art.

I wondered--what did these people in the ghost graveyards love? 


 
A recent art exhibit in Albuquerque featured area residents having a photo portrait made with their favorite objects. I wondered--what favorites did these folks have? Did they cherish a house or love a certain cat?
 
 
 
 
Maybe they were ready to be released from a life of worries or suffering.

 
 


Some folks might look forward to rejoining a lost loved one.

The Tombstone Folks help us reconnect with what was formerly sacred space--but now may be a street or parking garage. Follow my projects on Facebook at Mariposa.Notes.


No comments:

Post a Comment