Friday, July 6, 2012

GARDEN: Raspberries


GARDEN

Raspberries

I've had fairly good luck with my backyard raspberry bush. Quite by accident, I planted the bush on the north side of my house along my turtle garden. In some parts of the country the bushes can be invasive. In Albuquerque, we're just lucky to get them to grow.

The plant is rather clever and has sent up runners under my compost pile, so that I don't need to add compost myself. It also tends to send shoots anywhere in the turtle garden that gets regularly watered.

Last year when we got a lot of smoke for weeks on end from forest fires, it was rather unhappy and didn't grow much. The bush definitely prefers rain over being watered from the tap. But overall, it's done quite well.


Information about growing raspberries in New Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment