Thursday, July 12, 2012

STYLE: Fountain Pens


STYLE

Fountain Pens

Most of my rough draft writing I do long-hand in a notebook, before retyping the text on to a computer. I've had carpal tunnel in my hands since my mid-twenties. The only way I've found that I can write for long periods is to use a fountain pen.

I've owned a Cross steel nib pen for more than a decade now. I think they still cost what I paid back then--around $80.00. I've never had to repair or replace it. But if I did, I would probably try a fountain pen with a gold tipped nib, for softer writing pressure.

Fountain pens do have some drawbacks. I prefer ink from a bottle over prefilled plastic cartridges. Which means I often make a mess when I refill the pen. But then again, I get flour everywhere when I bake. Other people may be neater than me.

Fountain pens don't travel well. Spilled ink from a bottle is always a hazard. The bottle should be sealed in a plastic bag, preferably with something absorbent like a paper towel. Sealing the lid around the edges with electrical tape would also help.

While mine hasn't, some pens are prone to leaking. Changing cabin pressure on an airplane can make it worse. A sales clerk advised me to completely fill the pen ink chamber to eliminate any air space, which gives the ink room to expand while flying. Perhaps a better solution would be to completely empty the ink before boarding. However, I have never been inclined to try flying with a fountain pen, given the issues with airport security. The same clerk told a story about having a hassle with the TSA before being allowed to board with his pen. Some other airports might not have been as accommodating.

Recently I bought my teenage daughter a LAMY fountain pen. It was recommended as an inexpensive starter pen to see if she really likes using it.

If price were no object, I would buy the Grace Kelly fountain pen by Mont Blanc. The sales staff I have encountered at the Mont Blanc stores while visiting Las Vegas and Chicago have been gracious, even letting me hold the pen, while it's clear I couldn't afford to pay valet parking, let alone buy such an expensive item.

No comments:

Post a Comment